‘Content is king!’ has been the catchphrase for online selling for the past few years. It is indeed true, but a better way to put it is ‘SEO friendly content is king.’ The most significant factor that drives visitor traffic on the internet is content. It is a vital part of your web design.
So, how do you write content that is SEO friendly?
Firstly, let’s understand what SEO friendly writing is. SEO friendly content is
- Text easily readable and indexable by search engine crawlers
- Text is easy to understand by a broad range of people of varying reading skill levels.
Make content readable for Search engines (SEO)
For a particular text to be ranked high and indexed by search engines, it must contain specific keywords in the text body, titles, section headers, among other things. For a more comprehensive understanding of SEO, please read our blog on SEO basics here. Search engine crawlers follow specific programmed rules for analyzing content. We need to make sure that we match their searchability criteria.
Firstly, you must have a list of keywords and key phrases that are relevant to your website. After that, here are a few things that you must do
- Mention your keywords at least 3 to 4 times (per 500 words) in your post/page.
- Make your keywords a part of the page/post title.
- Mention your keywords in one or more subheadings (H1, H2, H3) on your page.
- Mention your keywords in the page/post slug/URL
- Add external links to relevant pages for credibility.
Make it readable for people
All the technical SEO services in the world won’t help if people cannot understand your text.
Make sure your writing is readable for people with varying reading skills.
- Break up the monotony by adding different sections/headings on the page.
- Use short, simple sentences to get your point across.
- Each page/post should be from 400 to 500 words. Shorter text is less valued, and a longer write-up is less likely to be read.
- Avoid using very long words with many syllables. Flowery language is suitable for literary works targeted towards a specific audience. However, it is not ideal for attracting a large number of visitors to your site.
- Use transition words such as ‘and,” ‘but,” ‘so’ and ”because’ to make your text easy to follow. Transition words connect sentences and are essential for your passage to be coherent.
- Use short paragraphs to make reading easier for people at all reading levels.
Content created using the above guidelines can help you drive visitors to your site. At Opel Solutions, a digital marketing agency, we would be happy to work with you to create SEO-friendly content for your website. See our services here. For a more detailed look at SEO-friendly writing, take a look at this article by Semrush here.